A great concern in our community is the abuse of medications and other drugs. Disposal of unused medications means others will not have access to drugs that were not prescribed to them. Unfortunately, this is a growing trend in our communities. Proper disposal also lessens environmental damage. Flushing drugs down the toilet is not a safe disposal method because water treatment plants do not remove drugs from our waste water.
The Renville County Sheriﬀ’s Oﬃce, Renville County Public Health, Renville County Household Hazardous Waste and RAPAD are proud to be a part of offering the Medication Disposal Program as a responsible way to properly dispose of medications.
How the Program Works:
- Keep the medicine in its original container.
- Leave the name of the drug and other content information on the bottle.
- Remove the person’s name and any other identifying information from the bottle. You can scratch the name off, cut the label, or cover it with a permanent marker.
- Drop the medication in one of the disposal boxes located at:
- Renville County Office Building – 105 South 5th in St., Olivia, MN (available 24/7)
- City of Renville – City Hall 221 Main St., Renville, MN
- City of Fairfax – City Hall 181st St. SE, Fairfax, MN
- Buffalo Lake Police Dept. – 311 N. Main St., Buffalo Lake, MN
Accepted Items Include:
- Prescription medications, medication samples
- Over-the-counter medications
- Veterinary medications
- Expired medications
- Illegal drugs
NO SHARPS, PLEASE! Contact Renville County Public Health regarding the disposal of needles / sharps.
The box is accessible 24 hours a day; no questions asked.
The family medicine cabinet allows easy access to medications. You can help stop accidental poisonings! You can help stop the abuse of prescription, over-the-counter, and veterinary drugs by reducing the temptation. Protect your children and grandchildren. Remove unwanted medications from your house!
Help keep Renville County clean and safe!